Friday, January 29, 2010

Breakfast

Hi Everyone, as I am not cooking dinner this evening, this is a good time to talk about breakfast.  I eat the same, big, hearty breakfast every day and I LOVE it.  I wouldn't want to eat the same thing for dinner every night !!, but for breakfast, it works.  At breakfast,  I eat carbs. This meal fills me up and keeps me from thinking about eating for several hours, and after I eat it I always say yummmmmm.  Really.

Brown Rice, Hulled Barley, Lentils, and Eggs:

The brown rice, barley and lentils are all cooked in the same pot at the same time.  I use a little more rice than barley, both grains totaling a little more than half cup.  Add to the grains a small handful of lentils.  I put in a piece of kombu seaweed,  mainly because I love it.  However, I heard a report on the radio that stated that scientists were studying seaweed because they discovered  that seaweed in the ocean is impervious to bacteria.  Where there was bacteria harming the ocean environment, the seaweed was untouched.  The bacteria could not stay on the surface of the seaweed.  How this translates to humans is unclear, but I like the sound of it. If you don't want to eat the kombu, you can discard it and still get the nutrients from it being cooked in with the grains.  Put the grains, lentils and kombu in a pot with double the amount of water to grains + 1/4 cup.  Let that come to a boil and then cook slowly over a low flame.  When all the water is gone, the grains are done.  I heat them in a minute amount of olive oil adding some tamari or soy sauce for flavor.  I've been using Bragg's Liquid Aminos.  I also like some mesculum greens, undressed for breakfast, with just some salt and pepper, and wasabi on the grains and eggs.  Lately, I've been having the eggs soft boiled about 6 minutes.  To soft boil eggs, bring water to a boil and gently put in the eggs and let them cook to your liking.  3 minutes will give you a rather loose white and yolk.  5 to 6 minutes, a firm white and medium yolk.  10 minutes will give you a hard boiled egg.
You can cook the grains the night before while preparing dinner so you'll save time in the morning.  mmmmmmm, enjoy this savory and filling meal!

2 comments:

  1. What do you think about re-heating the grains if I were to make a larger portion and keep them in the fridge for a few days? They will still be good right?

    ReplyDelete