Thursday, January 28, 2010

Delicious Memories

Hi Everyone, while thinking of tonight's meal, some delicious moments in Italy came to mind. Last January, my daughter, a good friend, and I had the good fortune to spend some time on the Amalfi Coast of Italy.  There is a small fish market across the street from the apartment in which we were staying.  The fish market is supplied daily by the local fishermen who fish the waters off the Amalfi Coast.  I learned that you had to go the the market rather early in the morning, because by noon, most of the fish was sold out.  The first day I went to the market I bought a large piece of filet.  Neither the name nor the look of the fish was familiar.  It was rather thick with a light pink color.  That night, when the three of us sat down to eat, we discovered the best piece of fried fish that we'd ever tasted!  We still speak of that meal to this day!  Indeed, there are many such culinary experiences to be had in Italy.  So tonight it's:

Fried Filet of Fish and Swiss Chard with Cannellini Beans

Tonight I'm going to use filet of cod, but this works just as well with sole, flounder, scrod etc. as long as it's fresh.  Dredge the filet in salted flour.  The flour keeps in the juices while giving a crisp outside.  Cover your pan with oil ( corn, peanut ) and heat.  Place the fish in the HOT oil and lower the flame to a medium heat.  Cook the filet for about 3 minutes on one side, and turn and cook another 3 minutes on the other.  The thickness of the filet will determine how long to fry the fish.  Sole or flounder will take less time than a ticker fish like cod.

Wash and tear the swiss chard.  Brown a couple of cloves of garlic in olive oil and salt.  Add the chard, a little water and salt.  As the chard is cooking add the beans and enough water to make the chard soupy.  I use canned beans for this and I like Progresso or Goya.  This dish only needs to cook for about ten minutes, however I find it tastes better if it's allowed to rest for another 10 minutes or so before serving.  mmmmmmm, I'm definitely hungry!  Enjoy!  
   

5 comments:

  1. You got a typo in your title. Unless you are making up some kind of clever word - but I don't see any references to men in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, this tearing thing with the greens. Really makes a difference?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks 4est for pointing out the typo. I prefer the tearing because it's more free form. As far as taste...... dubious

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, that fish in Amalfi was so amazing!!! My memory is that it kind of floated into my mouth because it was so light and delicious!! It set a whole new standard for white fish...
    You better mention the clams we had towards the end of the trip too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be talking about those clams when I make clam sauce.

    ReplyDelete