Thursday, February 4, 2010

Clam Sauce

Hi Everyone.  Well, it's definitely going to be a good evening because I'm going to have linguine and clam sauce, one of my favorites!  When thinking about clam sauce, I am transported back to Atrani on the Amalfi Coast where the little fish market across from our apartment, sold me the best filet of fish that I ever tasted!  The woman in the market also sold very small, smooth clams which she kept in a small tub filled with sea water.  I'd never seen this type of clam before nor clams that behaved like these.  They were "frisky", skipping around in the water and spitting water out of their shells.  I bought some and since they were so small, had some doubt as to how flavorful they would be.  I prepared them the way I usually do and, well, they knocked us out.  The sauce was full of the fine flavor of the sea, again, the best we ever had!   My daughter and I still marvel at those little clams.

Linguine and Clam Sauce:

When buying clams in the shell, make sure that the shells are closed.  NEVER buy clams with open shells.  Do not wrap the clams in a closed plastic bag when transporting them.  They have to breath, they are alive.  Clean them off with cool water, wiping off the outside of the shell.  In a pan, brown a couple of cloves of smashed garlic in olive oil and salt.  Add the cleaned clams in their shells to the garlic and olive oil and reduce the flame to low.  As the clams warm, they will begin to open their shells and the juice will prevent the garlic from burning and provide you with your sauce.  DO NOT add water. The clams won't necessarily ALL open at the same time, but keep the faith, they will all open.  Before they all open, add some fresh chopped parsley.   When all the shells are open, your sauce is ready.  Some people like to add wine to the clam juice while the clams are cooking, but I think it takes away from the flavor of the clam.   Cook the linguine in lightly salted water that has come to the boil and stir the pasta so that all the strands are separated.  Cook the linguine al dente, do not overcook.   Pour the sauce over the cooked linguine and arrange the clams in their shells attractively on the plate.  I use 1/2 dozen clams for myself and 12 to 18 for two. 
I'm going to have sauteed escarole with the clams sauce which is a nice combination.  Mmmmmmmm, this is going to be good!  Enjoy.
xo



2 comments:

  1. Correction, you cook 18 when I'm the other person eating them!!! So delicious...it may be one of my all time favorite meals!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Mae-Lily, that's why i put in 18. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete