Friday, February 5, 2010

Sea Scallops

Hi Everyone.  The linguine and clam sauce was very good, briny and garlicky, just the way I like it.  I realized that I failed to mention that you should buy little neck clams for sauce as opposed to cherrystones which are bigger and tougher.  I polished off the meal with a slice of candied orange, dipped in dark chocolate.  Citrus and chocolate is such a good combination, which reminds once again of Italy.  The Amalfi Coast is famous for it's lemons.  There are lemon trees everywhere on the terraced land.  Lemon soap, lemon themed ceramics and limoncello, which is a lemon liqueur made from the peels of lemons, abound.  In the bakeries and chocolate shops, where you can drink some of the best espresso,  you will find candied lemon peels dipped in dark chocolate.   The lemon peels are extraordinary because they are so fresh and juicy!  My daughter and I made sure that we had a steady supply of these treats.

Tonight I'm going to have sauteed sea scallops.  As with any fish or seafood, freshness is what's paramount.  Having a reputable market from which to purchase your seafood is probably your best guarantee.  I have eaten sea scallops raw, right from the shell, and I have to say that is my favorite way to eat them, however, it's not always possible.  The raw scallop is soft, with a creamy texture and delicate flavor.  
I'm also going to have the brussels sprouts and mescalum greens salad for which I have already given the recipes.

Sauteed Sea Scallops:

Fish and seafood should never be overcooked.  For myself, I usually use 1/2 lb. of sea scallops.  Slice a couple of cloves of garlic lengthwise and put in a pan with olive oil and salt.  Just before the garlic begins to brown, put the scallops into the pan and cook over a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes on one side, and turn and cook 2 to 3 minutes on the other.  Toward the end of the cooking, I like to add some fresh chopped parsley.  Some other good ideas for scallops is to add some tamari or soy sauce to the pan while cooking and/or some toasted sesame oil.  Fresh, grated ginger is also very good.  Mmmmmmmmmm, so good!  Enjoy xo 

No comments:

Post a Comment